Superyacht.eu Nautica Digitale
Share this page
Tell a friend


SUPERYACHT #494
June 2003

Article selected from our quarterly magazine dedicated to the largest and most luxurious boats with information, interviews, technical articles, images and yachting news


Summary

Subscription

Yachting catalogue

Navigation tests

Used boats

Boatshow

Video Nautica

Edited by
Fabio Petrone and
Angelo Colombo


MTU, success based on innovation

In 2002, for the ninth consecutive year, the German firm MTU which now also includes the group Daimler-Chrysler Off-Highway, achieved a significant increase in turnover. This result is, according to the words of Rolf A. Hanssen, president of MTU Friedrichshafen and the Daimler-Chrysler Off-Highway group, mainly due to the company's ability to update its products continually, successfully meeting the requirements of the customers, whether these be military, owners of commercial fleets, public transport organisations, hobbyists or companies needing large-size generators. MTU produces extremely reliable diesel engines, turbines and gas engines for a wide range of uses. To witness the performance and long-life guarantee of the propulsors that the German company is able to offer, we can observe them in all kinds of situations, for example on modern military ships, on military tanks, on trains, on cars, on work and transport vessels and on pleasure crafts. The excellent results achieved by MTU over the last nine years, again according to Mr. Hanssen, are also due to the company's expansion to all corners of the world, thanks to which it can offer service in any country and present its engines directly to the customers concerned wherever they are. In order to lend support to the work of the numerous international dealers, the company organises frequent refresher courses for technicians and sales staff, so as to furnish international personnel with the necessary tools for going about their daily work with the maximum skill and knowledge of product development. In order to make the work of the local sales and service networks still closer to the needs of their clients, MTU has developed an integrated system of regional services, thanks to which it is possible to deal with any demand wherever it occurs. In Europe alone MTU has 37 distributors and 151 service centres in addition to the company headquarters at Friedrichshafen in Germany and the subsidiary offices in Italy, France, Turkey, Germany, Russia and the United Kingdom but in spite of these numbers the network will be widened still further to all European countries. One of the strong points of MTU's development is the planning and production of all components of engines in the same company.

At Friedrichshafen MTU produces thermal units, turbines, electronics and all the elements which complete its engines, offering an important strategic advantage compared to many other firms working in the same industrial field. To say it in numbers, the MTU engines are installed in more than half of recently manufactured luxury yachts of more than 26 m. in length; in addition they are in corvettes, frigates and other military vells for which reliability and the possibility of use at any speed and for unpredictable length of time is fundamental. The marine sector makes up 47% of MTU's total production. In additional 72% of total production is destined for exports while the remaining 28% for the German market.

In Italy MTU is represented by MTU Italia; via Aurelia Nord 328; 19021 Arcola (SP); tel. 0187 952611; fax 0187 954713; e mail sergio.valentini@mtu-online.com; web site www.mtu- online.com.